I have been licensed to practice law in Alabama since 2001 and admitted to practice before the Federal Court since 2002. I left private practice in 2006 to join the District Attorney’s Office for the 4th Judicial Circuit. After nine years gaining extensive trial experience as an Assistant District Attorney I returned to private practice. My private practice is limited to Criminal Defense with a focus on DUI, as well as Family Law in the areas of Divorce/Post Divorce, Child Custody and Support. Closely related to both these areas of law I also handle Juvenile Court issues. I have successfully tried hundreds of bench and jury trials in these areas.
Prior to my time in the DA’s office my private practice was devoted to the same areas of law. I have successfully prosecuted and defended cases ranging from traffic violations and DUI all the way up to Assaults and Capital Murder, as well as other serious felonies. I have also successfully litigated numerous divorces, child custody/support, juvenile, and other family law matters.
Before becoming an attorney, I served as a police officer for seven years. I was certified by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, as well as by the State of Alabama in the Draeger and Intoxilyzer 5000 breath alcohol testing devices. I was certified in these areas of DUI detection and prosecution, and I used this training daily in my real-world work as a police officer on the street, and a prosecutor in the courtroom. It is invaluable to me and my clients in defense work.
I know the DUI laws, the “tricks of the trade” used by police and prosecutors, as well as the mistakes made by law enforcement. I use this knowledge combined with over twenty years of law enforcement and legal experience to my client’s advantage.
I am a member of the prestigious National College for DUI Defense. I have completed the NCDD’s courses in Mastering Scientific Evidence, and the intensive Summer Session in DUI law conducted at Harvard Law School. I am a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, as well as a member of the Family Law Section of the Alabama State Bar. I was selected as a “Top Lawyer” by B Metro Magazine, and BHM BIZ in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Professional Certificates & Training:
- Member –National College of DUI Defense
- Member –National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- December 2002 – Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- September 2001 – Admitted to Alabama State Bar; 2001 – Current – Earned a minimum of 12 hours each calendar year of Continuing Legal Education with focus in fields of Criminal Prosecution, Criminal Procedure, Criminal Defense, DUI and Traffic Prosecution and Defense, Forensic Evidence, and Ethics
- November 1994 – Certified by Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission; 1994-2000 – Minimum 12 hours each year of professional development in Criminal Law and Procedure, Forensics and Crime Scene Investigations, Firearms, Impact Weapons, Spanish.
- 1999 – Certified DARE Officer